Do you have a great idea in your head that you believe would make a great movie? Well, it just might! In this introductory course, you will learn the basic components of telling a compelling story: basic 3 act screenplay structure, formatting, story development, character development, and dialogue.
- Write a short silent film
- Write a short ten minute film
- Develop a detailed synopsis for your first feature film
All work will be read and developed in a supportive classroom workshop environment. With the industry changing and people able to shoot and upload their own films with a smartphone and the internet, there is no reason your story shouldn’t be “out there”. The class is taught by a professional screenwriter who actually works in the industry as well as writes and produces her own independent films.
Prerequisite: Bring three ideas, working knowledge of Final Draft, watch Die Hard, Jaws, and Quality Problems.
Our classrooms are ADA compliant.
TUESDAYS from 6-9 pm (PDT)
November 10, 17, 24, December 1, 8, 15,
Instructor: Brooke Purdy
- The Ruby LA has a no-refund policy on all classes and shows. If we need to cancel or re-schedule a class for any reason, you are entitled to take that class or classes equal to the admission price of that class. You may use your class credit for up to two years, after which time it expires.
- The Ruby LA reserves the right to replace a course instructor, without notice, and at any time, with another equally qualified course instructor.
- The Ruby LA also reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if an emergency or unforeseen conflict arises. In the event of a complete cancellation, students’ tuition will be refunded or credited. Any fees incurred by students for travel, lodging, etc. will not be reimbursed by the Ruby LA.